I most definitely could blog about beer for the rest of my life; it isn't just the taste, nor is it just the physical feelings that go along with drinking. Beer brings me back emotionally to a time where I was much more carefree, and, ironically, innocent. All right, so I've been to a brewery here and there, I've even been to a "beer fest" of sorts. I even enjoy 2fer's over some good conversation about the deeper elements of life; however, I am in no way, shape, or form claiming to be a connoisseur of beers.
You might be curious to know what inspired me tonight. I haven't written in a while, and although I would love to be able to update you constantly on my day-to-day adventures, (that's what twitter is for, I suppose) it's hard to come home after a 9 hour day and be able to clearly and cohesively express any thoughts, or anything that you would even find remotely interesting. Tonight, it's the Yankees' fault, I tell yah.
Just a few hours ago the Yankees were able to capture another World Series Championship, and I had the privilege to catch the end of the game at Applebee's after work last night. Rivera was on the mound, and it was time to close up shop! I laugh at myself because I usually close my store up, so I joked around calling Rivera and myself "the closers." Go ahead, raise an eyebrow. Ha!
Back to what inspired tonight's entry... I knew, and never doubted my choice for a second, that I wanted to indulge in 2fer's that evening. The Yankees were on, the game was ours, let's celebrate. So, I asked our overtired, hot-mess-of-a waitress what was on tap, and to my huge disappointment she replied, "domestic." I could kill for a Sam Summer on a blazing summer afternoon, but nooo! Bud? Coors? Was she joking? Not tonight! What happened to Heineken? Ready for the shocker? This Crapplebee's didn't serve anything imported except Guinness for 2fer's/on tap! Have no fear, I didn't settle. I ordered myself a Heineken, paid full price, and I savored every last drop. Yup, even the last sip, the sip that's so warm you think someone took a pee-pee in your drink.
This was my first sip of ice cold, mouth watering beer in a good while. Since last week or something. I realized that the fizz, the flavor, the aroma, the perspiration on the bottle, all brought me back to my happy place. I have an emotional connection to beer. It reminds me of the summertime when it's freezing outside (like tonight.) It reminds me of relaxation when work gets overwhelming (just like this past week.) It reminds me of a steamy make-out session in the car after a good conversation about "real" hip-hop (that was a long while ago.) I remember good times with friends, and it makes me smile because I think about the good times to come.
On November 4, 2008, I was sitting down drinking a Heineken, watching CNN and rejoicing as I witnessed President Obama get elected into the White House, and this year I drank a Heineken and watched the boys clench numero 27. How special is that?
All right, so maybe I won't be blogging about beer for the rest of my life, but I most certainly will be enjoying it for a long while to come... and you'll just have to gab some drinks with me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment